Frequently Asked Questions - General

Since our sewage system serves primarily a rural area, we are unable to consistently base charges on water meter sizes, flows, or pipe size.  Therefore, LCWSA has consistently used the fixed based “EDU” calculations for our fee assessments.

An Equivalent Dwelling Unit or one (1) EDU is defined as a single family residential household.

Multifamily residential units and non residential facility EDU assessments are also calculated on a fixed “EDU basis” depending on the use.   EDU’s are assessed per the Rules and Regulations noted in Section 6.1.5.

DEFINITION: “EDU or Equivalent Dwelling Unit”   The unit of measure by which the periodic User Charge for sewer services provided by the Authority is calculated and imposed upon each improved property served by the Sewer System, as determined in accordance with the schedules contained in the applicable rate resolution or any subsequent rate resolutions of the Authority, from time to time.

Tapping Fees are distinctively different than ongoing monthly sewer service fees.

The tapping fee is not a fee to “physically connect to” the system, but instead a fee to pay for and secure a portion or share of the sewage and/or water capacity needed in the collection, conveyance, and treatment facilities of the Authority.

The individual property owner is also responsible for the physical connection to the sanitary sewer or public water system.   This work is done by his or her own contractor – following the Authority’s requirements.

A tapping fee is the initial fee charged to homeowners and customers who desire to receive water and/or wastewater service.   The fees are determined through a prescribed method known as Act 57 and previously Act 203.

The basic concept of Act 57 or Act 203 fees is to recover a portion of the embedded fixed capital investment from new customers.   The fee(s) charged to the new customer, or to the current customer increasing its demand on the system, reflects the cost required to provide service as well as recover a portion of the embedded capacity available to provide that service.

The current tapping fee schedule for both water and sewer is provided on the website under “Rates.”

Yes. LCWSA offers either ACH payment which is directly withdrawn from you checking or savings account on or near the 20th of the month, or an automatic credit card payment.  Forms to sign up for either option can be found by going to the Bill Payment Option page or the Setup ACH Payment page.

Unfortunatley we do not take payments over the phone.  For your convenience we offer online payments through our website,

 If the residence is going to be unoccupied, you can contact the water company to have the water shut off. Once the water is shut off, the borough or village water will contact us and billing will stop.  If you choose not to have the water turned off, billing will continue until the residence has been vacant for 6 months.

A duplicate bill can be sent to the tenant of a rental property.  However, the property owner/landlord is the person ultimately responsible if a sewer bill becomes delinquent therefore the property owner/landlord will also receive a bill so they will know if the sewer bill is being paid or not.

LCWSA will need to be notified, in writing, by a third party, either the realtor or the attorney handling the sale can fax the information to 570-546-3315.